There are 16 scenic waterfalls in Southwestern North Carolina, including areas of the Nantahala National Forest, Pisgah National Forest, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- We recommend taking a scenic drive from Buttercup Haven to Highlands via US Highway 64E. There are three falls along the way – Bridal Veil Falls, Dry Falls, and Cullasaja Falls, and then Glen Falls which is just the other side of Highlands. Stop for lunch in Highlands and browse the shops while you are there. Click here for directions.
- Whitewater Falls – we created a separate post to feature Whitewater Falls which, at 411 ft., is the highest falls in Eastern America.
For more information, follow these links:
- Waterfalls of Western North Carolina – Franklin Chamber’s guide to 16 scenic waterfalls in Southwestern North Carolina, including a waterfalls map to help you get there.
- Waterfalls in Western North Carolina – Silver Creek Real Estate have put together a great guide to the most popular falls in the area, along with directions and safety advice.
- 25 of the Best Waterfalls in North Carolina – NC Tripping’s alphabetical list of waterfalls throughout NC.